The Bristol Port Company
Commercial and Renewable Energy Development
Client: The Bristol Port Company
Services: EIA, Ecological and Landscape Planning and Management
The Bristol Port is the UK’s most centrally located deep seaport that covers 2,600 acres on the Severn Estuary. It provides a full range of shipping, distribution and logistics services and has direct rail and motorway access to the rest of the UK.
The port operates immediately adjacent to environmentally sensitive areas – the Severn Estuary, an internationally and nationally designated site of nature conservation importance and, on the landward side, the Bristol Green Belt. In recognition of this sensitivity, alongside running this major UK port, The Bristol Port Company has made significant investments in maintaining and enhancing in its environment.
The Landmark Practice has provided ecology and landscape services for The Bristol Port Company for 20 years, helping it to generate vital economic development alongside meaningful environmental benefits. Our services include:
- Producing an Environmental Statement for a new railway linking the Port with the Bristol to Portishead railway;
- Securing planning for 3 wind turbines which provide circa 1/3 of the Port’s electricity needs: through a robust EIA and Habitats Regulations Assessment, a project that won the first RTPI Environmental Planning and Protection Network Award;
- Landscape planning including strategic landscape assessments, LVIAs, night-time and cumulative assessments;
- Producing mitigation planting plans and monitoring establishing planting;
- Ongoing ecological monitoring and survey work; and
- On-hand Landscape and Ecology advice.
A Landscape and Wildlife Masterplan provides an overarching flexible framework to accommodate new development within a strategic network of wildlife corridors. This Masterplan is maintained by The Landmark Practice and is updated regularly to keep pace with essential service upgrades to respond to changing international markets, changes in wildlife guidance and legislation and the results of monitoring of protected species and habitats within the Port Estate.
Since 1991 the Port has planted over 55,000 trees, created 260 acres of wildlife corridors and green spaces, and introduced 15 new ponds. Its on-going conservation program ensures the preservation and enhancement of existing habitats, and the establishment and management of new conservation projects across the estate.
We are proud to continue to support The Bristol Port on all ecological and landscape planning and management matters.
“The Landmark Practice is the retained environmental consultancy for The Bristol Port Company.
We benefit from their exemplary service and lead on environmental issues. For me, what sets them
apart is their recognition of our commercial needs as well as our environmental concerns”
Our other commercial and renewable projects